A blocked toilet is a surprise no one wants to experience. Not only is it unhygienic, but it can also be a flood risk when the water overflows from the bowl, causing damage to your floors or walls.
These situations are what we don’t want to happen to anyone. And that’s why it’s important to know quick fixes you can do to it while waiting for experts.
But before we get to the solutions, we’ll first talk about the causes of blocked toilets to help you prevent them early on.
What are the causes of a blocked toilet?
Sometimes you’re left to wonder because, all of a sudden, your toilet won’t flush. As a matter of fact, there are many reasons why it has lead to this.
Among the common causes of a blocked toilet are:
- Waste and debris buildup
- Flushing items that should not be flushed in the toilet, such as wet wipes, feminine products and more
- There’s a jam in the trap or toilet’s S-shaped bend in the pipe, which prevents foul smells from travelling outside the bathroom and into the home
- Tree Roots in your inground drainage
- Cracked or broken pipes
- Flush valve seal not working correctly; hence, getting weak flushes
- Unmaintained external pipes or old, collapsing pipes
- Slow-moving or unmaintained septic systems
- Hard water problems
Owners should also be aware of if the toilets are hooked up to a sewage system or have their own septic tank to work. This will help plumbers know if they need to look for a sewage system or septic tank and check for build ups or other problems. Another handy piece of information that will help us solve your blockage problem fast is your home’s sewer diagram. All homes have one. Do you?
Solutions you can do to unblock your toilets
There are simple do-it-yourself solutions you can try first before resorting to calling professionals to do the job for you.
The trusty plunger – almost every bathroom has a plunger ready to do the unblocking. Did you know that there are different types of plungers? For clearing toilets, you’ll need a plunger with a flange. Put this plunger in the toilet bowl and pump it repeatedly and check if the water went down the drain. If not, repeat the process from the start.
Baking soda and vinegar – put one cup of baking soda into the blocked toilet and wait two minutes. Afterwards, slowly pour two cups of vinegar and wait a few minutes before flushing the toilet.
Dish soap and water – put dish soap, then hot water into the toilet. Wait a few minutes, then flush your toilet to see if there is still blockage.
Boiling water – Boil the kettle and carefully pour it down any slow draining sink or basin to attempt to burn and loosen up any build up causing you blockages. This is also a good practice to do regularly down your kitchen sink to help move on cook oils and fats
Signs that you need your toilets checked as soon as possible
Aside from leaking toilets, there can be other problems happening that you may or may not be aware of. Once you do experience these problems, call Mr Drains and leave the problem solving to us.
- Water leaking from the cistern
- There’s water leaking every time you flush
- Water is leaking from under the toilet
- The water is always running into the toilet bowl
- Cisterns are not filling as fast as they should be
- The toilet is not flushing properly
- Cisterns are noisy when filling
Why choose Mr Drains for Blocked Toilets in Sydney
Clearing toilet blockage is a job for your friendly plumbers from Mr Drains. We can educate you on the situation to arm you with DIY solutions that you can do before resorting to drastic measures. But, when all else fails, the best solution is to reach out to us, and we’ll handle your blocked toilets, blocked toilet drains, broken flushes, and more.
Mr Drains can help with your blocked toilet problems. Here’s how we do things:
- We always make sure to inspect your toilet and drains. Using CCTV equipment, we can clearly see where the blockage is and explain the possible causes
- We clear your drain with the use of our powerful, high-pressure jet blasters
- After draining, we thoroughly check if your drains have damages. If it does, we’re going to repair or replace the pipes if needed
Our guarantee is that Mr Drains gives a Lifetime Workmanship Warranty on all our plumbing repairs and installations. Our priority is to always make our customers happy. That’s why we always provide the most suitable solution to every plumbing problem to ensure your pipes, toilets, drains and more are working.
Whether it’s a plumbing emergency or a scheduled site visit for quotation, reach out to us, and we’ll fix your plumbing problems away. Just call 02 9986 1234 for emergencies or book an appointment online to get in touch with us.