Firstly, don’t panic! There are many obvious causes for a blocked sink or drain in your home. The first step is to go through these easy DIY steps to check the possible causes of a blockage.
These blockages will likely result from one of the following causes.
- Grease, Oil and soap build-up
- Piled up hair
- Food or other objects that fell into the drain or sink
- Broken pipes or cracked sink
- Mineral Build-up
So, whether it’s a block kitchen sink, shower drain, or bathroom sink these DIY steps can help you to unblock it and remove the offending material.
DIY Solutions using Common Household Items to Try First
1. Boiling Water – The simplest and easiest way to try and unclog a blocked sink! Boil water using your Kettle, then, pour boiling water into the sink. Ensure all the water is poured directly into the plughole as it’s best not to get the boiling water on your basin. If the water doesn’t go down, wait for the sink to cool and repeat the process until successful. *Please be careful when handling boiling water.
2. Vinegar and Baking Soda – Pour 1 cup of baking soda followed by 1 cup of white or apple cider vinegar down the drain. Afterwards, wait for the bubbles to subside and put the plug in. Run water after 15 minutes to test if the drain is clog-free. Repeat if necessary.
3. Coat Hanger – The trusty household wire coat hanger, every household has one! Be sure to use it with caution as the wire can scratch the pipe. Straighten the coat hanger and use it to reach the gunk and either push it down or pull it out of the pipe. Also, try and use the end of the coat hanger as a hook to pull out the hair blocking the drain.
4. Plunger – Another common household item. Place the plunger on the drain and start plunging many times. Once you hear that the suction cleared the Blockage, pour warm water to flush the drain.
For most blocked household sinks and drains, one of the above DIY options should hopefully resolve your issue and you’ll have nice, clear unblocked drains.
But when it doesn’t work, it’s time for Mr Drains to help you drain the gunk away. Since 1988, we’ve specialised in clearing blocked sinks and drains for our customers in a fast and efficient manner. We have the necessary tools, equipment and knowledge needed to ensure that your drains are working as they should be.
Mr Drains will make it happen!
The equipment we use depends on the location and severity of the blockage. Our first step is to assess the situation then choose from these tools to get the job done:
Drain Camera Inspection. Our specialised drain inspection camera shows the blockages’ location and condition of the pipework giving us the information we need to assess the situation and find out the perfect solution to remove the drain blockage.
Water Jetting. This method blasts high-pressure water to efficiently eliminate a large number of tree roots, grease, soap scum, mineral build-ups and more from the drain and remove any blockages.
In some cases, your blockage may be due to broken or damaged pipework, either inside your home or in the pipes leading to your house. But don’t worry, the Mr Drains team are fully equipped to carry out a full inspection of the repairs needed and provide you with a free quote. Now is the time to reach out to Mr Drains and get a free quote for your blocked sink. Phone us on 9986 1234 to speak with us and experience the Mr Drains guarantee—quality service, honest pricing and friendly, experienced tradespeople.